Follow me as I blog about all things London when I fly across the pond to study Shakespeare at the Globe Theatre during two weeks of intense training in the Globe Education Academy.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

GEA - Day 9 (new photos added)

July 22, 2010

The end is near for our time here at the Globe.  Today we got to spend our first two hours with Glynn where she took us to the empty stage.  There was no one in the theatre but us.  We took pictures and learned a little more about the space, like the stage is on a slab foundation and somewhat floats. There are few pegs in the ground so it makes for a tricky place to walk sometimes.
After the stage, we walked down the way to the Park building (the other meeting spot for many sessions) to ask Glynn questions to expand on and clarify what she has taught us.  We all really enjoyed our time with Glynn.  The best word I can think to use to describe her is "magical."  I'm sad that our sessions with her are completed, but I have taken away so much and I can't wait to share it with my students and colleagues.  When I get home, I have to track down one of Glynn's books on the Alexander Technique. 

For the rest of the day we worked with Chris.  Before lunch, Chris had each of our performance groups share what activities our directors did with us so that the other group could have those tools.  The time after lunch was spent figuring out how to chunk up Macbeth into 12 parts so we can each take a piece and teach our kids.  This was no easy task, and we are still in progress. We will have our final sections tomorrow.  We will need to edit our pieces into no more than five minute performances. Our work is definitely cut out for us.  It'll give me something to do on my almost 11 hour flight home Saturday.


At lunchtime, Tip and I finally made it to the Burrough Market.  The Burrough Market is an open-air produce, meat, and wine market and so much more.  I have never seen anything like it. 

There are several places where you can pick up a quick and delicious lunch as well.  We had Thai Chicken Curry.  YUM!
 

We are seeing The Comedy of Errors tonight.  It'll be our last play since tomorrow is our last day. *sniffle*

1 comment:

  1. Borough Market is an eyefull, I have taken tons of pictures there. Did you see the cheese market? I can imagine you are sad to leave the Globe. The instructors and staff are first rate. Be sure to dress up a little for the final banquet and give Patrick a hug for me. I am so glad you enjoyed your experience - I have certainly enjoyed it with you thanks to your blog.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete